HIF Global partners with technology supplier Topsoe for eFuels facility in Texas
- Topsoe, a global leader in carbon emission reduction technologies, will deliver technology to HIF Global’s (HIF) planned eFuels facility in Texas. The plant will produce carbon-neutral fuel – enough to decarbonize over 400,000 vehicles annually.
- eFuels are produced by combining green hydrogen made from renewable power, and recycled carbon dioxide. HIF´s facility in Texas will help remove 2 million tonnes of CO2 from the air every year.
- Topsoe delivers basic engineering and license for methanol synthesis and TIGASTM gasoline synthesis technologies. Later in the project, Topsoe’s scope will be extended to supply methanol reactors and catalysts.
Roeland Baan, CEO at Topsoe, said: “We are proud that HIF Global has selected our technology for this truly innovative project which will contribute to decarbonizing US transportation. This is our first involvement in a commercial scale Power-to-X facility producing gasoline. Our technology will be used to directly convert renewable hydrogen and CO2 to methanol, which is further converted into plug and play gasoline. We are excited to showcase our capabilities in this field and apply the Topsoe methanol and TIGASTM technology for eFuels.”
The gasoline synthesis from methanol has been commercially proven in a 15000-bpd plant in Turkmenistan since 2019.
Renato Pereira, CEO at HIF USA, said: “We look forward to partnering with Topsoe and utilizing its state-of-the-art technology within our Matagorda County facility. Carbon-neutral eFuels represent the energy sector’s next frontier, enabling renewable resources to fuel our mobile economy.”
Electricity based fuels, or eFuels, are carbon-neutral fuels produced from green hydrogen and CO2. eFuels have the same chemical properties as fossil-based fuels and, as a result, can be used as direct substitutes in existing motors and infrastructure.
About HIF´s eFuels plant
- The plant will be built in Matagorda County in Texas, USA
- It will produce 200 million gallons per year of a carbon-neutral gasoline that can be used in today´s cars and gas stations with no modifications required.
- The power requirement for the plant will be 2 GW, where 90% is consumed by electrolyzers for the green hydrogen production process.
- The eGasoline produced will meet the strict California specifications for conventional gasoline.
- Start of construction is expected by 2023 and first production by 2026.
About HIF Global
HIF Global is the world leading eFuels company, developing projects to convert hydrogen using low-cost renewable power into carbon neutral liquid eFuels that can be transported and utilized in existing infrastructure. The name HIF represents the mission of the company: to provide Highly Innovative Fuels to make decarbonization of the planet possible. HIF Chile, HIF USA, HIF Asia Pacific, and HIF EMEA are wholly owned subsidiaries of HIF Global. HIF Chile is currently constructing the Haru Oni Demonstration Plant in Magallanes, Chile. For more information, visit www.hifglobal.com.
Founded in 1940, Topsoe is a leading global developer and supplier of decarbonization technology, catalysts, and services for the energy transition.
Our mission is to combat climate change by helping our partners and customers achieve their decarbonization and emission-reduction targets, including those in hard-to-abate sectors such as aviation, shipping, and the production of raw materials. From carbon reduction chemicals, to renewable fuels and plastic upcycling, we are uniquely positioned to aid humanity in realizing a sustainable future.
Topsoe is headquartered in Denmark, with over 2,100 employees serving customers all around the globe. To learn more, visit www.topsoe.com
For more information, please contact:
Ulrik Frøhlke, Media Relations Manager
Phone: +45 27 77 99 68